CommandString()

Scripts and programs to automate Astroart
Forum_2016

CommandString()

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hello,

I'm having issues with the script function Telescope.Receive and assuming it to be an issue with telescope controlling software Gemini II, I started a post on the Gemini II yahoogroup.

This is the question I posted:
"I use to control my G-11 mount apart from Gemini II HC and ASCOM Driver.net via AstroArt5 script. After I discovered that the Gemini system supports a subset of the Meade LX200 Command Set (8.4 Serial Line Protol, Gemini Users Manual Level 4) I wanted to apply this method and test it before.
The script language of AstroArt is based on BASIC and provides the two commands _Telescope.Send(string)_ and _Telescope.Receive_ for controlling the mount per Serial Line Protocol. What I experienced is: The mount accepts the send strings and reacts correct but does not return indicated Returns anyway.
If for example the script contains the lines
Telescope.Send(":Cm#")
RET$ = Telescope.Receive
the string RET$ should read "No object!#" if the mount is not aligned or no object was selected, otherwise the name of the selected object used "<object name>#" should be returned. However in every case the string RET$ contains nothing.
The mount is connected to the PC via Ethernet.
Can someone please give me a hint where I'm going wrong or what I missed?"

And here is one reply to my question:
"I'm not familiar with AstroArt script, so the first thing I'd suggest is that you confirm the syntax for sending a command and receiving a result. I assume that you are using Gemini.NET ASCOM driver with AstroArt. In this case, there is only one ASCOM command that AstroArt could be using to both, sending and receiving a result: CommandString(...). It appears from your script that somehow this is broken up into two commands, which may or may not be correct.
Since ASCOM driver does work fine with other software, you may need to get help from AstroArt to see why this is not working from their script."

I'm actually using the Gemini.NET ASCOM driver with AstroArt5. So can someone please give an explanation to the above expressed assumption? It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rolf

Forum_2016

Re: CommandString()

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hello, I confirm the bug in the script command: Telescope.Receive does not work with the ASCOM interface. Actually, as you wrote, it cannot work since in ASCOM, send and receive are joined in the same command. I will look for a solution in the next camera interface.
Thank you,
Fabio

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Fabio, thanks for the reply.
So I (we) will wait and see.

Regards,
Rolf

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Fabio,

BTW, I have noticed one more issue concerning telescope control via Gemini.NET ASCOM driver.
After connecting the telescope and choosing the Move Page of the Telescope Control Page the telescope does not react to any push of a virtual key no matter which speed selected. The other functions GOTO and Center though obviously are running well, same the key thing in the simulation mode. Also on the Move Page after checking _Emulate with GOTO_ the telescope reacts correctly to a key push. But after repeatedly checking unchecking this mode the program freezes.
Although this behavior is no issue for me I thought to let you know. Perhaps the cause is the same as in the before mentioned bug.

Regards,
Rolf

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Rolf,
that's another problem. 50% of the ASCOM telescopes do not support the ASCOM command "MoveAxis" or "CanSetTracking" so you cannot simply move a telescope up and down freely at a given speed. This is surprising considering that (from an hardware perspective) that should be much simpler than a GOTO.
Check if a new ASCOM driver is available for you telescope. Ask the developers to support "MoveAxis".

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Fabio,

of course I'm using the newest ASCOM driver and yes, I have experienced "Move Axis" commands not being supported very well too. However I could realize to imitate a feature like the one of PEMPro's _Backlash Exercising_ with the command strings ":Mg<direction><time>#". After sending the command ":hN#" for stop tracking this works fine and provides the expected results. FWIW ...

Regards,
Rolf

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Rolf,
the feature have been added to the current development version. If you need to use now the ASCOM CommandString() function let me know by email.