Image.FindCoordinates "saved" parameter settings

Scripts and programs to automate Astroart
Forum_2015

Image.FindCoordinates "saved" parameter settings

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello,

A question about "hidden" parameters for Image.FindCoordinates.

Image.FindCoordinates appears to use some, but not all, of the parameters saved in the Find coordinates GUI (i.e. in tools menu). For example, I assume that Image.FindCoordinates does make use of the current saved horizontal field setting. However, Image.FindCoordinates does not seem to use the saved search region Size (RA-DEC, degrees). I'm not sure about, pixel aspect ratio, vertical flip or max rotation.

Could someone let me know which parameters I should expect Image.FindCoordinates to pull from the saved settings from the "Find coordinates GUI" - and which parameters will *not* be used by Image.FindCoordinates. Also, for any parameters that are not pulled from the GUI, what are the static settings?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Forum_2015

Re: Image.FindCoordinates "saved" parameter settings

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello,
it uses all the saved parameters except the region size, which is fixed ad 2x2 degrees.
This size is a compromise, it's big enough for centering most telescopes, but it's not so big to increase the chance of false positives.
By the way, the next Camera Panel will support an extended syntax to set the region size. This feature is included yet in the beta version, if you need it now just write me by email.
Clear skies,
Fabio.

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

However, New 5.43c version does have variable search size!!
Great feature.

All the best,
John
Selsey Observatory

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Where can I get this updated manual for version 5.43c?

Thanks!

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Latest unofficial manual for 5.43 is on the Yahoo download site. Https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/AA5ObsMgr/files this includes the tested functions for sizes of FindCoordinates up to 10. However, it becomes a trade of between speed, false positives and RA DEC error. I would say that I have tested scope alignment errors up to 2 degrees and it works fine. In fact I have a script to align the scope for star parties!