Exposure time and timings

Scripts and programs to automate Astroart
Forum_2015

Re: Exposure time and timings

Post by Forum_2015 »

Yes, 2-3 seconds is the typical download time of a RAW image via USB, plus another second for RAW decoding PC-side. Just as a test, if you set JPEG you will notice a much faster download.

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Makes sense, but I thought I had tried setting to binned and large rather than RAW and got only a 1sec improvement. Will have a play...

Was hoping there would be an option to control from AstroArt and just leave the images on the SD card. May just opt for a manual timer and use a Canon GP-E2 GPS logger with the camera.

Thanks for the help.

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Each camera needs to be identified separately for AA5 to "see and control"
I had a similar issue trying to use two Atik cameras which used the same driver files.
I have a write up on how the registration files were modified to fix the problem...
Let me know if you need the write-up in a hurry....or wait till I find it and upload.

-------

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before....
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
http://www.astronomicalspectroscopy.com/

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

> Let me know if you need the write-up in a hurry....or wait till I find it and upload.

Thanks for the kind offer. I would be interested to see it, but its certainly not urgent.

I'm probably going with two laptops so one camera per laptop. Should simplify things. The problem I have now is making the EOS utility save the data only on the SD card. It doesn't seem to be an option (fair enough) and so inhibits my ability to fire off multiple 1sec exposures at 2sec intervals. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but with a fast moving object I may be better off with a manual timer and the cameras saving to SD and just make sure the time of each exposure is accurately recorded via a Canon GP-E2 or similar.

I am aware of other software that can fire the Canon in the way I want but I find that software (cheap though it is) less intuitive to use. Not sure how that is working faster.

I had wondered if the camera.wait statement in my AstroArt script was an issue, but removing it didn't help.

I'm certainly learning new things though!