calibration (dark,Flat & Bias

Image processing, astrometry, photometry, etc.
Astrognosis

Re: calibration (dark,Flat & Bias

Post by Astrognosis » 07 Aug 2023, 18:48

Hi
I'm using the preprocessing tab of AA8 to apply darks to a set of images. The application would seem to add a P to the resultant images. How am I able to apply dark and or flat with the processed image not changing its file name.

The resulting file will be compared to master files, hence file names need to remain unchanged.

Thanks,

Eric

AlessandroMaitan

Post by AlessandroMaitan » 08 Aug 2023, 07:06

HI Eric,
please check if you selected "save all images" in the Option tab (down right) of the Preprocessing tab.

Regards.

Alessandro

Astrognosis

Post by Astrognosis » 08 Aug 2023, 16:22

Alessandro,

thanks for replying
yes I have checked this option and I still get a included in the file name

Eric

fabdev

Post by fabdev » 08 Aug 2023, 20:40

Hi, the "_P" is added when the option "Save all images" is enabled. This option is not required if you need to create a master dark frame or flat field.
This option is useful only to pass the corrected sequence (corrected for darks and flats, or aligned) to another software.
Fabio.

AlessandroMaitan

Post by AlessandroMaitan » 09 Aug 2023, 07:22

Hi Eric and Fabio,
effectively in my answer I missed one sentence becuase it was a question. The right answer should have been, "you have to disable it".
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Alessandro

Astrognosis

Post by Astrognosis » 09 Aug 2023, 22:08

Fabio & Alessandro,

I've disabled the save, but still getting the P.

I suspect I have a misunderstanding in general with respect to applying darks and flats to raw images and saving them under AA8. seems to be a bit esoteric. Besides applying them to clean up the image I also need to get it correctly done for photometry.

Would it be possible to have a short video of selecting and applying the necessary setting using the preprocessing screen and then saving the corrected images and retaining the raw ones. There are a lot of features on AA8 that I like the look of and have tried some. But I've got to be able to preprocess the image correctly.

Kindest regards,

Eric

fabdev

Post by fabdev » 10 Aug 2023, 23:43

Hi Eric,
if you need to pass every image of a sequence to another software, then the option "Save all images" is required, and it adds the "_P" suffix to all filenames. Some video-tutorials will be released in October, with the release of AA8 SP5.
Meanwhile, if you like, write more details about your processing.

if instead you just need to create a master dark frame, or a master flat field, or a stacked image, then don't enable the option "Save all images", instead enable "Show master dark frame and flat field" and save it manually at the end of the process. If you see some "_P" files, then check the date, probably they are from yesterday, before you disabled the option "Save all images".
Kind regards, Fabio.