Preprocessing - Error images - auto skip?

Image processing, astrometry, photometry, etc.
JackG

Preprocessing - Error images - auto skip?

Post by JackG » 03 May 2022, 12:02

Folks,

When I'm preprocessing images it's common to have clouds drown out many of them. But when AA8 gives an "error" as it can't align things, I have to manually press "skip." What that means is if I have hundreds of images I have to babysit the computer for a long time to hit "skip" when an image is no good.

Is there a way to "skip all"? My workflow is an initial preprocessing to get the graph that shows sky background. I run that through a Linux script to delete the images with a background above some value I specify. Without the ability to "skip all" this becomes super tedious.

Thanks,
Jack

bill

Re: Preprocessing - Error images - auto skip?

Post by bill » 03 May 2022, 13:50

Hi Jack,
On the options page in preprocessing there is a Reject Bad Images section.
Maybe try the option of selecting and setting the Sky Background value high enough to reject the cloudy images?

Just a thought...

Bill

JackG

Post by JackG » 03 May 2022, 17:14

Thanks, Bill. To do that supposes one knows what background one wants to reject. One cool feature of AA8 is the graph of sky background produced by tools:preprocessing. I use that to get an idea of where to set the limit. But, alas, to get that one is slaved to hitting the "skip" button lots of times when getting this graph.

Jack

fabdev

Post by fabdev » 03 May 2022, 23:15

Hi, the option "Stars PSNR" should work too, and it's easier because there's no need to know the background in advance.

To use Preprocessing to just analyze the background or other properties of the sequence, don't enable auto-alignment.

Another long-term solution is to just delete the bad images. Use the Browser in Grid mode, 6x6 or more, right click (or CTRL + left click) to select the bad images of a page, mouse wheel or PAGE_DOWN to scroll, then at the end click "Menu" and delete the bad images.
Fabio.

JackG

Post by JackG » 04 May 2022, 14:34

Thanks, Fabio. I'll give that a shot.