Difficulties to remove subtle gradients

Image processing, astrometry, photometry, etc.
Rudi

Difficulties to remove subtle gradients

Post by Rudi » 13 Mar 2021, 07:38

Hi,

Yesterday I was processing an image in Astroart, and when editing the image, I could not see, that there were a subtle gradient on the right side.
I think, this is because Astroart is so bright, when viewing the full image. Then my (old) eyes cannot see the gradient in the dark image, it drowns in the extremely bright window background in Astroart:

If I view the image in Adobe PhotoShop Express, which has a pleasantly dark UI, then the subtle gradient suddently becoms obvious.

I know of the F12 full screen option in Astroart, but then the image is shown in 1:1 and the UI is gone, e.g. the histogram stretch and all other tools aren't available in full screen.
I have tried the "Night Visualization", but that is in so strong red, that the gradients also drown.
Have You considered making the UI dark? Or is there a work arround for this, that I have missed?

Btw - the image is here:
(This is downscaled 3x3, click for full resolution)
(Details here: https://www.astrobin.com/h4jc46/?nc=user)
/Rudi

fabdev

Re: Difficulties to remove subtle gradients

Post by fabdev » 13 Mar 2021, 18:07

Yes, a darker UI will be added in the future.

Meanwhile the Full Screen window with its black UI can be used for some tasks: press CTRL+F12 to show it, then:

[+] (Numeric keypad). Zooms in the image.
[-] (Numeric keypad). Zooms out the image.
[Arrows]. Pans the image.
[PAG_UP] , [PAG_DOWN]. Changes the visualization (white threshold). Press CTRL for finer control.
[SHIFT + PAG_UP / DOWN]. Changes the visualization (black threshold). Press CTRL for finer control.

With the mouse:

Wheel clic + drag. Zooms the image.
Right click + drag. Pans the image. (also possible Left click)
Wheel rotation. Changes the visualization (white threshold). Press Ctrl for finer control.
Wheel rotation + [Shift]. Changes the visualization (black threshold). Press Ctrl for finer control.
Wheel click + rotation. Changes the visualization (black threshold). Press Ctrl for finer control.

-----

Nice image by the way !

Rudi

Post by Rudi » 13 Mar 2021, 19:37

Thanks Fabio. I wasn’t aware of the shörthcuts, that will definetly help. I will look forward to a dark UI though ;-)
/Rudi

WD5IKX

Post by WD5IKX » 17 May 2021, 18:14

I think it would be nice to have the option of making the background black or dark gray to make it easier on the eyes. It also would help reduce glare when doing image capture when using a red filter over the display. Just a thought for a future service pack. (^8

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX
John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX
Star Ranch Obs - SRO