Stacking and other support options for spectroscopy

Image processing, astrometry, photometry, etc.
Forum_2014

Stacking and other support options for spectroscopy

Post by Forum_2014 »

I use AA5 for all my cameras/ processing.
When it comes to spectroscopy we have different problems/ issues to the "normal" astro-imager.
Normally the final spectral image is a stack of subs (dark and flat corrected) and absorption or emission features in the individual subs are used to register the stack. This is currently very awkward in AA5.

The "stars" options are not viable, the "planetary" method doesn't seem to pick up on the spectral details so that only leaves the manual method. A real PITA for twenty subs!!
Is there a possibility of getting a stacking routine where nominated (non star) features are used for registration????

Also,
What about being able to define a column pixel count (say 3-10 pixel) for the profile feature? This is VERY handy to check out the spectral image (and ADU etc.) but a single pixel profile is not as good as a "binned" profile.....
I realise that spectroscopy is a niche area in an already niche hobby, but it's growing fast and I'd like to think future amateurs will use AA5 as the "preferred weapon of choice"
Thanks for listening.

----

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before....
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
http://www.astronomicalspectroscopy.com/

Forum_2014

Re: Stacking and other support options for spectroscopy

Post by Forum_2014 »

It would be useful to see two sample fits images, maybe they could be aligned by correlation.
About profile: it could be easily added to the next SP. Do you use it "by hand" or you use the menu commands for strictly horizontal/vertical profiles?

Forum_2014

Post by Forum_2014 »

The attached fits are a couple of representative spectral images (usually work with a stack of 10-30 images)
The first is lo-res spectra taken with a grating.
The others are medium-res taken with a slit spectroscope.
The obvious challenge is to effectively register and stack these images for subsequent processing.
(We, later, have to correct for the tilt of the spectrum in the frame and the slant (in slit spectroscopes) of the absorption/emission lines within the spectrum)
Appreciate your comments.

Forum_2014

Post by Forum_2014 »

Please send the original .fits to me at: info [AT] msbsoftware.it
BTW check the files, novacenHb001.jpg is 889x664, while novacenHb002.jpg is 880x657