Plate Solving - Maximum Image Rotation

Image processing, astrometry, photometry, etc.
Forum_2016

Plate Solving - Maximum Image Rotation

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi,
I've been using AstroArt for about 1 year, mainly for image calibration but now using it for telescope control too. The guiding control is fantastic and some thing I wish I started using before now.

Any way, my question is about the plate solve settings in the find co-ordinates menu.
I have got the plate solve working ok but have had a couple of 'false positives' . I think this was due to having to have a large value ( 170 degrees ) in the 'Maximum Rotation (degrees) setting.
I think the plate solve was incorrect due to the large setting in the maximum rotational setting and a reference stars setting of 4 was needed.

My camera once mounted usually stays in that position.
It would be useful and possibly reduce 'false positive' plate solves if a fixed camera rotation offset in the find co-ordinates setting window could be set which would allow a much lower maximum rotation setting to work.

ie Enter an additional camera rotation setting of say 170 degrees from which the maximum rotation of say +- 5 degrees for the plate solve to search?

Thanks,
Dave.

Forum_2016

Re: Plate Solving - Maximum Image Rotation

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi, yes, angle plus maximum rotation would be a useful feature.

By the way, did you decrease the field tolerance to +- 2% ? This will help a lot if you need to work with only 4 stars. To find out the exact field of view of your camera use the command Statistics on a plate-solved image.

Thanks,
Fabio.

Forum_2016

Re: Plate Solving - Maximum Image Rotation

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Fabio,

Thanks for your reply.
I had set the exact field of view from Statistics in to the find coordinates settings but had the field tolerance set to +-5%. I will reduce it to +-2% as you suggest.
Hopefully you can look at adding the angle plus maximum rotation in the future.

Many thanks,
Dave.