Feature for a new release or SP2

Main forum about Astroart
Forum_2014

Feature for a new release or SP2

Post by Forum_2014 »

I'm writing to submit some comments about several features not found in AA that may be are useful or can make AA more friendly.

Obviously it's neither criticism nor I'm complaining...I'm just submitting some comments for information only, I'm just appreciating the fact you are spending (hopefully not wasting) your time reading this message.

1) Usually I'm adding some short and simple text in the image at the end of processing. To do that I'm using an external program. I think the capability to add simple text (and hopefully crosses, lines, arrows or simple symbol) into the image would be welcome in AA.

2) In some case I'm using IRIS to apply an opacity mask to deep sky images. After creating a blurred copy (gauss filtering) the original image is corrected (using in IRIS the "view->opacity mask" menu item) specifying an "opacity" parameter. I don't know how IRIS is applying the blurred image (i.e. which operation is done). This filtering capability seems missed in AA. In my opinion is a good filter and I'd like to have this filter in AA, possibly in a window with sliders for filter and opacity parameters and permitting the update of the image when the sliders are moved.

3) Having a multiple image of a planet (taken at different time) I'd like to create an animated image of the rotating planet. Now I should use an external program (after converting any image in a gif format) for creating an animated gif. Wouldn't be better to have this capability in AA?

Thank you very much for the time you spent reading my message.
Max

Forum_2014

Re: Feature for a new release or SP2

Post by Forum_2014 »

Hello Max,
1) This is on our to-do list, by the way I don't understand if you need to put a logo/text to a group of images (e.g. all automatically) or some markers on important objects (e.g. by hand). Maybe both?

2) What is the goal of the filter, sharpening?

3) For animated GIFs that would be a very nice feature, we'll think at it, thanks.
For MPEG/MP4 I usually use ffmpeg by command line (this could be called by AA of course). Once you have created your list of jupiter images, example:
jup0001.png
jup0002.png
etc:

ffmpeg -f image2 -i jup%04d.png jupmovie.mp4

Where %04 is the number of digits in your filenames.

(you just need to copy ffmpeg.exe and its dlls into the images folder)

See also:
http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/C...0from%20images

Forum_2014

Re: Feature for a new release or SP2

Post by Forum_2014 »

My request is for a capability to put simple text string and symbols by hand in certain position of the image (placing the text or symbol using the mouse). Other people may be interested in both.

Moreover I have another feature request :-). When the astrometric information is added into a FIT image a couple of green axis appear on top-left corner of the image. I'd like to get this important information in the images saved using "save view" (TIFF,PNG...) so as not to lose the orientation of the image when it is saved in a non-FIT format. The current AA I'm using (5.0 + SP1) is not saving the image orientation when PNG or TIFF format are used.
Hello Max,
2) What is the goal of the filter, sharpening?
Please have a look at

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/iris/t...l1/doc6_us.htm

in the section "Applied an opacity mask". Basically a blurred image is created as a mask to obscure the image with
the rule
"The more intense is, the more it will obscure the corresponding parts of the image"

I tried to replicate this filter using DDP but is really easier to get better results with the "opacity mask" in IRIS.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Max