Tutorial for processing Raw (.nef) files with AA?

Main forum about Astroart
Forum_2015

Tutorial for processing Raw (.nef) files with AA?

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hi guys
Merry xmas to all in the group!!
I`m enjoying using my new Nikon D5500 dslr for day to day imaging and finally had a go with my scope the other evening but I`m not really sure what I`m doing with the post processing of these night time files and trying to find a tut on this especially with AA5. I`ve always just put the lights,flats,darks and bias (fits files) frames from my Atik 314 ccd and AA5 happily churned out decent images for me but trying the same with .nef frames gives me a mono final image so I gather I need to debayer them?? Is AA6 any better/different for processing Raw files? if so I`ll check it out. A start to finish tutorial would be great if there are any?.
thanks
Steve

Forum_2015

Re: Tutorial for processing Raw (.nef) files with AA?

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hi, I don't know a tutorial, by the way the processing of dslrs has different peculiarities, I suggest to start only with light images (you will have to enable the automatic color synthesis in Preprocessing) to evaluate how much the noise ruins the final image.
Then, try with Sigma instead of Average, evaluate how the result improves. Then switch to Average, but add Dark frames to the process. Make a test with a Defect Map (instead of darks), maybe it's enough. Then try again with Sigma.
As usual, use Bias ONLY if you are using scaled darks ("dark frame optimization" in AA5).
When you get an optimized, noise free image, add the flats to the process.