"Follow minor planet" can not work on DSLR raw images?

Image processing, astrometry, photometry, etc.
Forum_2015

"Follow minor planet" can not work on DSLR raw images?

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello,

I have many images of an extremely faint comet taken with a Canon DSLR. I can not see the comet in the images so i can not manually align on its movement. If i do automatic alignment i see a diffuse blur so i know it is there.
The "Follow minor planet" feature does not seem to work on my Canon images. Can we get a fix for that please? We could simply use the OS file dates ("creation date" or "last modified" maybe).

Regards,
Martin

Forum_2015

Re: "Follow minor planet" can not work on DSLR raw images?

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello,
I can only confirm the problem, with non-fits files there is not a way to read the date, so "Follow minor planet" will not work.
If you write me by email I could send you a patched version, which includes the other suggestion about the centroid.
Fabio.

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello Fabio,

Thank you for the confirmation of the problem. Can we hope for a fix in a future ServicePack? Using one of the file dates should not be to difficult.

As a current workaround i could use the Preprocessing Menu to convert all the images to FITS. But these file then lack the DATE-OBS field which i assume AA evaluates. So i could try to edit the FITS files and add that field? That should be doable and the generated FITS files have enough empty space in the header ...

Best regards,
Martin

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello Martin,
releasing a Service Pack has a high cost, we do it to solve 5-10 issues at a time. Instead a patched version can be done in 5 minutes.
If you have less than 15 images, then you could open them, open the Header, add the DATE-OBS key, and save them as FITS. Just copy & paste something like:

DATE-OBS= '2015-02-12T19:XX:XX'

with the hour:minutes at place XX:XX