Plate solving help

Image processing, astrometry, photometry, etc.
Forum_2015

Plate solving help

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello all. My first thread.

Im new to AA5, learning as I go along, very happy with thy features ive discoverd so far, Im interested in using the software for plate solving. I find that AA5 can happily find coordinates on my images. However can someone explain the process of taking an image , finding the co-ordinates and then getting the mount to slew and centre the intended object/ area. Ive tried to work this out without success . I cant see how the find co-ordinates function and telescope control work together? Can someone detaisl the procedure?

Kind regards
Mark

Forum_2015

Re: Plate solving help

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello,
there are two ways to use the plate solve for telescope autocenter:

1) The command "Center" of the Telescope Window, last tab.
2) The autocenter script, there are three variations in the manual, this is the most common use.

Kind regards,
Fabio.

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello , I spent best part of 2 hours tring to get the plate solve command to work. I suspect im missing a part of the process as I can t get my head around what could be wrong.

Once Ive taken my image , find co-ordinates works fine, however if I go over to the goto command, plate solve tab, the mount and co-orditates show the same, when I hit centre there is no solution offered. why would find co-ordinates option work and not the centre/plate solve function?

For those using plate solve can you go through the process you use.

thanks
Mark

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello,
you don't need not click Tools / Find Coordinates if you want to use the plate solve function to center your object. A procedure is:

1) Execute a telescope GOTO to the object.
2) When the telescope arrives, take a 5-seconds exposure to verify.
3) If the object is not in the field, or it's at the edge of the field, click Center/Plate solve in the Telescope Window (or just execute the autocenter/platesolve script).

This works only if it's possible to read the telescope coordinates (most telescopes allow that).
Hope this helps,
Fabio.

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Thanks Fabio.
I will give the above a try next clear night and report back.
Kind regards
Mark

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Well another fruitless few hours trying tp get plate solve to work, still no luck😕. I ensured that the correct FOV info is entered into fing co ordinates, I continually get reply NO MATCH. Im using a 200 mm lens to image with and a sxvh694 camera. The mount is an eq8. Anyone got any thoughts on whst , sy be the issue?

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

I've been working with a Zuiko 200mm f4 telelens with an ATiK16icS as an electronic finder....
The AA5 plate solve routine seems to work for me.
What settings are you using for the "Image Horizontal field" mine works out about 83 arc min.
Can you upload an example image - we may be able to help.

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Hello Merlin, im not sure the relationship between guiding and plate solve ? But to answer your question yes the guiding works fine with either auto calibrated or on my own aggresivness figures in AA5. I suspect im missing somthing totally. The find co ordinates works Ok with any of my images? I use Astroart to guide with ST4 cable and loadstar. is there an option in EQMOD that I should be selecting?

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Mark,
I only mention the guiding as I think this may be the method AA5 uses to re-centre the target.
I also use EQMod and I do remember having to change the guide rates to get better performance.
If the weather ever clears (!!) I'll make a note of the settings I use.

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Limited trials but my EQMod guide rate (for ST-4) were set at x0.5.
Hope this helps.