Using a QHY8L causes AA5 to crash

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Forum_2014

Using a QHY8L causes AA5 to crash

Post by Forum_2014 »

When using AA5 with a QHY8L via the ASCOM driver, AA5 will hang and become unresponsive after I tried and exit the focus window (to exit I press the red X) the issues is repeatable however I'm not sure how to setup any logging to identify the root cause. I don't have another capture package which uses the ASCOM driver so I can't eliminate whether this problem is with AA5 or the Ascom driver for the QHY8L so I'm hoping there is some logging I can set in AA5 to eliminate the problem.

I'd rather use AA5 so please advise how I can eliminate the root cause?

Thanks
Ivor

Forum_2014

Re: Using a QHY8L causes AA5 to crash

Post by Forum_2014 »

Here are some tests and hints:

1) Does it happen with the guide window too?
2) Are you able to move the field of view with the arrow buttons?
3) Does it happen with the ASCOM simulator?
4) Try to disable the options about multithreading.
5) Try to update the low-level QHY drivers from their web site.
6) Be sure to use the CCD Interface 5.30 and the ASCOM driver 1.50.

Let me know,
Fabio.

Forum_2014

Post by Forum_2014 »

The problem fixed itself in the end with a reboot, however I've just had another problem confirmed with QHY8L Ascom driver 3.1 it causes amp glow, the previous version 3.0 is meant to be OK.

Forum_2014

Post by Forum_2014 »

Based on what you've tested so far you know the camera works on Win8 it's now a matter of eliminating whether it's AA5 or the ASCOM driver. It's probably the ASCOM driver but you need to confirm it, do you have any other ASCOM compliant capture software you could try? I beleive APT can support the camera via ASCOM. Alternative put a message up on a broader forum asking whether anyone has got WIN8 + QHY8 ASCOM driver working, find out their configuration and try the same with AA. Quite a few people use the QHY range of cameras on AstronomyShed.

@Merlin I thought the latest version on the QHY8 ASCOM driver was v30?
http://qhyccd.com/file/repository/ASCOM ... ion=manage