Full Frame Focus Exposure Time By Filter

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Joe R

Re: Full Frame Focus Exposure Time By Filter

Post by Joe R » 19 Apr 2023, 02:52

All,

I figured out the issue! The QHY WIN All In One driver set does not install the actual ASCOM driver. The install package does put the ASCOM installation executables in a folder on the hard drive, but that’s all. After figuring this out I ran the executable and installed the ASCOM drivers and am able to connect the QHY5Lii using Astroart and control it as it should be.

In case someone else is using the WIN All In One driver package and has this issue where the ASCOM chooser does not have the correct camera selection, the location of the ASCOM driver folder is at directory on the hard drive as follows:
C:\Program files\QHY\Drivers\ASCOM\

Thanks again for you help!

Joe

Joe R

Post by Joe R » 22 Apr 2023, 00:41

fabdev wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 11:58
ASCOM relay boxes are rare hardware which converts USB/serial to an autoguide cable, it's probably not the correct settings.
If there is no need to control the mount for GOTOs, I confirm that the correct setting is:

"Camera 2 relays" / "Same connection of GOTO"
or
"ASCOM guider relays" / "Same connection of GOTO"

in both cases they are the Second / First items in the lists.
Fabio.

Hello All.

Well I'm out setting up for some image testing tonight and wanted to know what would be the settings if I wanted to control my G11 for GOTOs? Will the above setting are recommended for not controlling the mount, but will these work or should I use another combination?

Thanks.

Joe

Iver

Post by Iver » 22 Apr 2023, 03:39

To control your mount select ASCOM driver. For guiding select same connection as goto for pulse guide or if you are using a guide cable from your camera to your mount select camera 2 for your guide camera or camera 1 if your using the relays from your imaging camera.
Iver

Joe R

Post by Joe R » 22 Apr 2023, 05:45

Iver,

Thanks. I did use those settings which worked just fine. I did run into a number of problems though, not related to the GOTO connection.

Initially I couldn’t get a good image from the guide camera, all I got was a black image with no data. I disconnected/reconnected the guide camera a few time, but nothing. After restarting AA8 a couple times I finally got an image.

Next, I couldn’t get the the guiding going with the guide camera connected directly to the mount. The guiding appeared to be working but in actually no corrections were getting sent got the mount. I tried the suggested settings on the thread, but gave up and connected the mount directly to the computer, which worked well.

I finally got the autoguiding going annd after adjusting some of the settings it seemed to do a good job. Given this I started to take images.

Shooting 5 minute subs I was able to get an hour of data Ha data, and then AA8 switched to the Oiii filter and took 3 images and then locked up, and never recovered. I had to use the control-alt-delete method to close the program. At this point I packed up and called it a night.

On a good note I made significant progress compared to my last session, and very happy about this, but concerned that AA8 locked up. I’m wondering if there’s a dump file of sorts to see what’s going on and what caused the lock up. Like I said, it was running fine then locked up in the middle of a picture.

Not sure if this is related to my laptop, which is an older i5 running Win 7, or maybe something else. I am using a new 7 port powered USB hub too.

Any guidance is always appreciated.

Joe

Iver

Post by Iver » 22 Apr 2023, 19:52

Wow, I've been using AA since ver. 2 and never had problems like those. I hope someone has some suggestions that will help.
Iver

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 23 Apr 2023, 22:18

Joe R wrote:
22 Apr 2023, 05:45
Iver,

Thanks. I did use those settings which worked just fine. I did run into a number of problems though, not related to the GOTO connection.

Initially I couldn’t get a good image from the guide camera, all I got was a black image with no data. I disconnected/reconnected the guide camera a few time, but nothing. After restarting AA8 a couple times I finally got an image.

Next, I couldn’t get the the guiding going with the guide camera connected directly to the mount. The guiding appeared to be working but in actually no corrections were getting sent got the mount. I tried the suggested settings on the thread, but gave up and connected the mount directly to the computer, which worked well.

I finally got the autoguiding going annd after adjusting some of the settings it seemed to do a good job. Given this I started to take images.

Shooting 5 minute subs I was able to get an hour of data Ha data, and then AA8 switched to the Oiii filter and took 3 images and then locked up, and never recovered. I had to use the control-alt-delete method to close the program. At this point I packed up and called it a night.

On a good note I made significant progress compared to my last session, and very happy about this, but concerned that AA8 locked up. I’m wondering if there’s a dump file of sorts to see what’s going on and what caused the lock up. Like I said, it was running fine then locked up in the middle of a picture.

Not sure if this is related to my laptop, which is an older i5 running Win 7, or maybe something else. I am using a new 7 port powered USB hub too.

Any guidance is always appreciated.

Joe
Which mount are you using?

Joe R

Post by Joe R » 24 Apr 2023, 03:21

Hello dunmunro.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a Losmandy G11 Gemini 1.

Joe

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 24 Apr 2023, 18:42

Joe R wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 03:21
Hello dunmunro.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a Losmandy G11 Gemini 1.

Joe
I'd test the whole setup in daylight. I'd run a simulator for the autoguider; the point being to test operation of the filter wheel.