Preset Focuser Position By Filter

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Joe R

Preset Focuser Position By Filter

Post by Joe R » 14 Mar 2023, 02:58

Hello.

I’m planning to go 100% AA8 for imaging this weekend and need help setting up filter focus positions for full frame auto focusing. Is there a way to enter the “starting position”, or step count where the filters should focus, from which auto focus run will start from?

Also, I’m using a TAK FSQ106EDX4 which is fairly sensitive to temperature changes so will AA8 know how to handle changes in focusing positions if a particular filter doesn’t reach focus from the “starting position” above? As an example, if focus isn’t reached, but was achieving better focus as the Focuser was racked in, would AA8 “see this” and move the Focuser in some number of steps and restart the focus run again? If not my thought is to set the focus steps to a larger number of steps and increase the number of positions too.

I’m using the Robo-Focuer (I know… old school).

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Iver

Re: Preset Focuser Position By Filter

Post by Iver » 14 Mar 2023, 07:42

Hi Joe, I also use a Robo-focus. I'll tell you how I set mine up, that should get you close.
If you take an image and you see fairly in focus stars just use the settings you see in the screen shot. If you are out of focus use the manual focus buttons to get close. I have an SCT with the focus motor attached to the focus knob, a MoonLite focuser on a ES102 Ed triplet and a stock focuser on an AT 72 Ed II. These settings work well on all 3 scopes.
Attachments
settings.jpg
focus.jpg
Iver

Joe R

Re: Preset Focuser Position By Filter

Post by Joe R » 15 Mar 2023, 01:19

Iver,

Thanks for the advice.

I figured out what I was looking for. In the sequence window, off to the far right, I entered the initial focus position for each filter and selected focus from this position option (click on the “…” to the right on the sequence window and the options pop up) which puts an “AF” in front of the step count. When the filter changes the Focuser travels to that initial position and starts a focus run. I added a picture below.

I ran a couple simulator sequences using the above method and it seems to work just fine. Unfortunately it looks like rain this weekend so I won’t be able to test this under the stars. When I do so I’ll report back.

Thanks Again.

Joe
Attachments
4D3E4D5C-6AEC-4F9B-9119-92FAC1A67C5A.jpeg