Meade LPI-GM and LPI-GM Advanced.

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Dunmunro

Meade LPI-GM and LPI-GM Advanced.

Post by Dunmunro » 06 Feb 2023, 20:36

(1) I've tested my 2018 vintage LPI-GM with the latest (March 2022) Meade ASCOM drivers; this camera uses the same sensor as an ASI120MM and is similar in size and physical configuration to the ASI120MM Mini.

(2) I've also tested my new LPI-GM Advanced with the latest (March 2022) Meade ASCOM drivers; this camera uses the same sensor as an ASI178MM and is similar in size and physical configuration to the ASI120MM mini.

Sensor imaging area:

LPI-GM = 4.8 x 3.6mm = 17.3 mm2 (monochrome)

LPI-GM Advanced = 7.4 x 5mm = 37 mm2 (monochrome)

1). The latest drivers are definitely more stable than the originals but still require Astroart 8's (AA8) option to disable subframes to function properly and in this respect it performs as per the original Meade ASCOM driver. AA8 will download the whole frame and use software to display the selected ROI for guiding and focus. The camera's ASCOM drivers support 2x2 binning, so this doesn't place an onerous load on the CPU. I have no idea how well it will function with PHD2 or other ASCOM compatible software, but I used this camera last night to guide on Comet C/2022 E3 with a 50mm F4 guidescope, and it functioned well with no issues using a USB2 interface.

2) I haven't tested this camera under a dark sky yet but it functions properly when connected to a minicomputer running W10 Pro. It also runs OK on the included Skycapture software, Metaguide 6 and on AA8 SP3 using the ASCOM interface. Both programs will only allow 1x1 or 2x2 binning, rather than the advertised additional binning modes of 3x3 and 4x4; this is somewhat disappointing as I find that 4x4 binning really boosts the sensitivity of my ASI178MM when used in an OAG in my 10in F7 SCT. However, I bought this camera to use it for telescope collimation using Metaguide 6, with guiding as an additional function in my 10in F5 SCT's OAG, where I'm sure that 2x2 binning with an additional software 2x2 binning via AA8's Autoguider interface will still work well.

Both cameras come with an ST-4 cable, USB 2 or 3 (Advanced) cable and software via CD. The latest software is available from Meade or Orion.

The LPI-GM is currently on sale (Orion) for ~$60 and the Advanced for ~$150.