Guiding problems

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
David_Strange

Guiding problems

Post by David_Strange » 08 Dec 2020, 14:56

I have a Lodestar guider connected to an ASI 183MM camera operating through EQMOD controlled via Starry Night 6 on an EQ6 mount.
I have no problems in acquiring images through the guider. Although it says there is a telescope connection, and the red motion
pointing arrows appear, there seems to no movement of the guide star back to the central position. When I try the calibration
button, I get an error message "Telescope is not moving or its speed is less than 0.5 pixel/second. Please check connection
and try again". Could someone please confirm what Telescope and Guider protocols should be used in the Telescope set up?
I have tried most combinations without showing any difference. Currently set as GOTO: ASCOM camera relays Guide: Lodestar relays.
Thanks, David

Iver

Re: Guiding problems

Post by Iver » 08 Dec 2020, 16:50

Hi, if you are guiding with the Loadstar using a cable from the camera to the mount try setting GOTO as "camera 2 relays" and guide as "same connection as GOTO"

If you are using ASCOM pulse guiding (no cable) you need to select GOTO as the scopes ASCOM driver "EQmod" or the ASCOM hub that you have EQmod conected to and guide as "same connection as GOTO"

Hope this helps
Iver

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 08 Dec 2020, 22:46

David_Strange wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 14:56
I have a Lodestar guider connected to an ASI 183MM camera operating through EQMOD controlled via Starry Night 6 on an EQ6 mount.
I have no problems in acquiring images through the guider. Although it says there is a telescope connection, and the red motion
pointing arrows appear, there seems to no movement of the guide star back to the central position. When I try the calibration
button, I get an error message "Telescope is not moving or its speed is less than 0.5 pixel/second. Please check connection
and try again". Could someone please confirm what Telescope and Guider protocols should be used in the Telescope set up?
I have tried most combinations without showing any difference. Currently set as GOTO: ASCOM camera relays Guide: Lodestar relays.
Thanks, David
Are you using Astroart for mount control and/or guiding?

David_Strange

Post by David_Strange » 09 Dec 2020, 14:48

No I'm not using Astroart to control the mount, I'm using Starry Night 6 and EQMOD. There seems to be some conflict between the two. If I've already connected to EQMOD, and then press telescope setup in astroart, it tries to fire up a second instance of EQMOD with a com port not found error message.
I have my lodestar guider connected and powered from ASI 183 imaging camera on com port 4. I have entered com port 4 as the port for both cameras,
perhaps I need to connect via different com ports?
Thanks
David

Iver

Post by Iver » 09 Dec 2020, 17:24

Many ASCOM mount drivers do not function as a hub and you may need to use ASCOM Device Hub for multiple connections.
Have you used EQMOD with multiple connections before, does it function as a hub?
Iver

David_Strange

Post by David_Strange » 09 Dec 2020, 18:00

Perhaps the easiest solution would be just to use Astroart Star Atlas in place of Starry Night?
David

fabdev

Post by fabdev » 09 Dec 2020, 19:15

Hello, "Ascom camera relays" and "Lodestar relays" both mean the "relay cable", usually ST4 compatible, which is connected directly from the camera to the "ST4 autoguide port" of the mount.
If you are not using that cable, then both settings are wrong.

The best setting would have been that cable, but I understand that an extra cable is annoying.

So at the moment, to connect to the EQMOD, select in Astroart "ASCOM" for Goto, and "Same connection" for Guide. Make a test while Starry Night is not connected. Verify the autoguide calibration.
Later you may connect both Astroart and Starry Night to EQMOD using the ASCOM HUB (or POTH).

David_Strange

Post by David_Strange » 09 Dec 2020, 19:44

Ah! Many thanks, that makes sense now. Will get the Ascom Hub!
David

jauunton

Post by jauunton » 17 May 2021, 04:54

David, is this now working ok? I use the Lodestar also, mine is driving an iOptron CEM40EC via ASCOM, auto calibration fails - but guiding actaully works (with the default parameters) but I would like to calibrate properly to be able to use full frame guiding and also to cope with target changes (DEC) and meridian flips.

My Guide scope is a 30mm ZWO unit which is about 14" per pixel and guide at 1x siderial. What settings would be a good start point for AA&? With PHD I guide quite happily at 3-5s exposures but to calibrate I had to set the pulse to about 8s.

fabdev

Post by fabdev » 18 May 2021, 14:09

.. My Guide scope is a 30mm ZWO unit which is about 14" per pixel and guide at 1x siderial. What settings would be a good start point for AA&? With PHD I guide quite happily at 3-5s exposures but to calibrate I had to set the pulse to about 8s.
Hi, are you really sure about 14" and 1X sideral ? That would mean the a pulse of one second will move the field by 1 pixel (which is fine). Try with the handset to move the mount for 5 seconds and verify that the guider image moves by 5 pixels.

jauunton

Post by jauunton » 19 May 2021, 02:09

Hi, thanks for the reply - in fact guide is 0.5x siderial. The mount (iOptron CEM40EC) is driven via ascom not the camera relays...I am not sure if this is relevant but I have noticed that in Telescope panel the MOVE buttons do not work - I have to check the emulate with GOTO option to get the mount to respond. I have to revert to using the iCommander mount control panel.

I would like to be able to get guiding and centering working properly and remove two programs from the equation - CdC and PHD. I would also like to use plate solves for centering and I would love to try full frame guiding but currently I cannot use either of these features.

AstroBernd

Post by AstroBernd » 19 May 2021, 20:10

Hello,
I can only comment on AA together with a CEM60 EC. That is a fantastic combination. I am 90% sure that I can move the mount from within AA. I am using both the hand controller and AA interchangeably.
After aligning with the hand controller and then syncing AA to it, i can do goto and then plate solving and center from within AA. Very easy to use and quick, dead center.
BTW, with good polar alignment, I can track w/o guiding my C11 with Hyperstar (F 560mm) at least 4 minutes.
I hope this helps
Clear skies
Bernd