Atlas / EQ6 mount guiding with AA

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Forum_2014

Atlas / EQ6 mount guiding with AA

Post by Forum_2014 »

I have been able to connect and start the guiding routine in AA. The calibration routine works with resulting rates of 0.6 to 1.0. The calibration also gives various combinations of X and Y axis usages. I have tried on both C-8 and Orion ED80 scopes. I have also tried with MX516 and ST402 cameras. I can not hold the guide star.
I have been able to guide using the ST402 and PHD software? However, the MX516 does not work with PHD so I really need the AA guiding to work.
Any suggestions / advice other than get "LoadStar"?

Forum_2014

Re: Atlas / EQ6 mount guiding with AA

Post by Forum_2014 »

Hello, 0.6 - 1 is an extremely low value, which may indicate that the mount is not moving at all, so try to verify if the arrow buttons in the Move tab do actually move the mount at guide speed.
Check the COM port settings and/or the relay box settings.
If needed, update to the CCD Interface 4.61 or 5.01.

Forum_2014

Re: Atlas / EQ6 mount guiding with AA

Post by Forum_2014 »

Thanks for the quick reply...I will check out your suggestions and let you know.

OK - Here is what I found. I had the 4.61 interface. The COM port was correct. I could not determine if the Move Tab actually moved the scope. I did run the "calibrate" program several times and each time it said mount speed at less the 0.5. Using the guide function and turning off X, -Y, +Y after about two minutes for the scope to reach "Avg. DY = 2.47" and Avg DX = 0.81. When I turned on the guiding (X,-Y,+Y) the guide star was off the screen in less than one minute. Also the lights on the Star2000 relay box were indicating activity being sent to the mount. After too many different configurations I found one that did work. Mount speed set to 5 for both X & Y axis. Invert X off, invert Y on and Swap X-Y on. I was able to guide for more than 5 minutes with less the 0.5 Avg for both DY & DX. Bottom line I suspect the calibration routine is not functioning correctly.
I am using TheSky 6 and EQMOND for pointing and positioning the scopes - C-8 with ED80 piggybacked.
Thanks for listening.:-)
Lauren