Astroart imager/guider

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Forum_2017

Astroart imager/guider

Post by Forum_2017 »

Hello, I purchased Astroart 6 nearly 2 years ago but due to poor skies and outreach duties I have not been able to get on a learning curve. I have several cameras for imaging and 3 for guiding. My main imager is an Opticstar DS-616C XL and guider is QHY5L-ii m. As with so many manuals translated from a foreign language I have a bit of trouble reading between the lines so to speak. The manual implies that I can use the imaging camera for guiding at the same time. If this is the case, how do I set up my Opticstar for this ability. I have the necessary drivers installed as per instructions.

Dick

Forum_2017

Re: Astroart imager/guider

Post by Forum_2017 »

https://www.optcorp.com/opticstar-ds-61 ... ensor.html

Dick,
You are misled... the camera can be used for imaging or guiding (there's no ST-4 port?) but not at the same time.
Keep using your QHY for guider and the Opticstar for imaging.

Forum_2017

Post by Forum_2017 »

Merlin,

Thank you, and now that I have that issue out of the way, would there be any advantage to opening another AA to use my guider in the first setup option or just use the second setup option?

Dick

Forum_2017

Post by Forum_2017 »

Dick,
With the QHY guider connected to the ST-4 port, you only have to work with one AA6 open.... this will allow control of the imaging camera and also the guiding by selecting a connection "Camera 1 Relays"
If you want to use the Opticstar camera for guiding (What do you use for imaging??) then you need some means of communicating the guide signal to the mount.
On SW EQ mounts you could use the EQMod software which allows you to use "pulse" guiding, or you'll need something like the Shoestring GP USB connection. One way or another there must be a connection between the guide camera and the mount controller.
HTH

Forum_2017

Post by Forum_2017 »

HTH,

I apologize for the late reply. Thank you for making that clear, I should have realized that my self. It looks like it may be many days or more than a week before we have clear skies here but I intend to get out as soon as possible to give my gear a test.

Dick

Forum_2017

Post by Forum_2017 »

I have a similar question; I am confused about ascom drivers; I want to guide with my Starshoot using Phd 2 from astro art so I can dither plus use my starlight express camera, or in another case my cannon d40. How does AA6 talk to Phd and then to the mount via the ST4 connection.
I am not sure wear these various drivers are placed. I know there is a Starshoot ascom driver. Where is this placed. Do I also need another drive r placed in aa6. This is confusing. Thanks cjacobson

Forum_2017

Post by Forum_2017 »

AA6 guiding and PHD are separate programs, independent of each other.
I sometimes use PHD for my electronic finder while using AA6 for imaging and guiding (I use an ATiK314 and Lodestar on the specroscope, and a DMK41 on the electronic finder.)

Forum_2017

Post by Forum_2017 »

If the camera is working yet with PHD, then its ASCOM driver is installed correctly. In Astroart you need only to install the generic ASCOM driver available at: http://www.msb-astroart.com/ccd_en.htm#ccdascom

To guide with Astroart, I suggest to start with the Autoguide Tutorial in the Help, with the Simulators. Then make a test with your own guide camera, selecting "ASCOM" as secondary camera.
If you prefer to guide with PHD, the feature to send dithering commands to PHD is ready and currently under test. It will be released with the next Service Pack (4-5 months).

Forum_2017

Post by Forum_2017 »

thanks for the quick response. I'll try this. cjacobson