Image sequencer unstable with Canon 1100d DSLR

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Forum_2016

Image sequencer unstable with Canon 1100d DSLR

Post by Forum_2016 »

I am still running a demo of AA5 and have now connected all of my equipment and I am testing everything indoors.

Today I have been testing the "Sequence" tab with a variety of difference exposure lengths.
However I have noticed that it can be quite unstable in that sometimes for no apparent reason it starts running an exposure for a long time despite even it is set to say 10 secs. There does not appear to be any obvious pattern.
I am running Windows 8.1 with a Canon 1100d and have the demo of AA5. I am also testing AA6 but it is even worse causing the application to go crazy and take numerous difference exposures in rapid succession.

I tried to install SP5 for AA5 but it will not let me. I assume this is because I am running the demo? My version is AA5 SP3. I have also added the latest DSLR Camera files to the installation.

I have seen similar posts on the forum with the same sort of issues but I have not found any possible solution, please can someone help?
I really like AA but if I cannot get this part to work properly then it is a real shame.

Thanks

Forum_2016

Re: Image sequencer unstable with Canon 1100d DSLR

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hello, I think that it's not the sequencer, you will see the same problem if take several images clicking the Start button.

To solve the problem, be sure that the camera is set as: "M" mode, manual focus, bulb mode (both in the Astroart driver and in the camera).
For example: if the camera is in autofocus mode, then a click can be interpreted as an autofocus click instead of end of exposure. So, as test, hear the clicks and verify what they actually trigger.

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Thanks for the feed back. I know I had the camera on Manual (M), bulb mode was set within AstroArt. I am not too sure on the Bulb mode for the camera is even though it was set to M I may have to rotate the dial to Bulb? I am fairly sure this was case but I don't have the camera with me at the moment.

I have the following setup. The AA setup for the Camera is 'Canon DSLE 2.80'. Shutter Control= Remote Shooting Software and Bulb Mode is ticked.
I also have the Canon EOS Utility remote shooting interface running.

I have not tried clicking START from the AA Image much as obviously I am testing the sequencer so cannot confirm if issue is there to. I will test this tonight. I will also check the camera for Auto Focus though I thought the fact it is in Manual mode the Auto Focuser is switched off?
As I mentioned it does work but if I run ask sequencer to perform 5 exposures of 30secs and then I say run 5 exposures of 10 secs and then lastly 2 of 60secs it usually starts to go wrong.

Will run some more tests tonight!

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Carried out further tests. Still having the odd issue. I have changed the image path to My Pictures which seemed better but still the odd issue.
The camera is on Manual, Bulb and Auto Focus is off. I cannot see that there is much else I can do.
I may test it on another PC to see if it is my current laptop which is the issue.

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

So, it fails only with exposures longer than 30 seconds?

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

It is not specifically longer than 30 secs. It just seems if I fire off different exposures it seems to stop working, I have not confirmed it is the actual different exposure times or just simply the process itself. I then have to click the virtual shutter button on the Canon EOS Utility to stop the exposure or else it will run for ever. If I then start another exposure with AA it seems to start working again. So the issue is intermittent.

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi - did you find any solution to your problems "Droogie 2001"?

I think that I have similar challenges; my AA6 and Canon 1000D gets out of sync after a number of exposures when running a sequence. All of the sudden, AA6 thinks that the shutter is open when it is closed and visa versa.
I am currently using a Hp EliteBook 8460p with Windows 10 Pro, AA6 SP1 and Canon 1000D.

My workarround is to use a programable Canon Remote Timer to do sequences, but I really want to be able to use AA for this.

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Update: Fabio recomended to use the Canon native driver. And it works better, at least for a test sequence of 20 images.
When using the native driver, remember that EOS Utility must not run, then it will block for the native drive connection to the camera.

Another advise Fabio told me: >>During long sequences you must disable the option "New window" and enable "Autosave"<<
If not, AA6 will pretty soon run out of memory and crash!

Thanks Fabio

Clear skies!

(and tonight is is indeed going to be clear skies at my place - looking forward to yet another evening under the stars!)

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Sorry for the delay I had forgotten my password and the reset password sequence is next to impossible to use! In fact I gave up and tried creating another account…What constellation is Arcturus in, I put Bootes and it was wrong? A question about Ursar Major. Fabio maybe you need to make the reset questions easier! I know it’s to stop spammers but it may just put a lot people off signing up?
As for the thread response, not sure if I ever got to the bottom of it as I moved to a CCD with Sequence Generator Pro instead.
Since your question its looks like you may have made progress since you posted.

I had a look through my testing notes and all I can see was to try the following. Note this is literally a copy and paste from notes I cannot recall much more than these so they be irrelevant.

1. Make sure the location for the outputted images are the same for both AA and the Canon EOS utility. E.g. C:\Users\Username\Pictures
2. Also make sure that the Canon EOS Utility has the “Save also on the cameras memory card” is UNTICKED or else it causes AA to go crazy.
3. Make sure tick Bulb mode is ticked and that the Canon EOS Utility is also running.
4. The demo resets Bulb mode.
These seem to help but I still had a note of the odd issue…
Whilst I did not actually buy Astro Art I think it’s still a great program, the Plate Solving is formidable.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Thanks for the information.
I'm considering the "managed" driver 2.80 quite obsolete now. After many tests the new "native" driver is always recommended, unless you have an old camera (300D - 350D - 20D) or an extremely new one (800 D) which may be not supported yet by the native driver.

The development of the Nikon driver is almost finished, then the Canon native driver will be updated to support the latest cameras.