What nonStarlight Xpress guide cameras work well with Astroart?

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Forum_2015

What nonStarlight Xpress guide cameras work well with Astroart?

Post by Forum_2015 »

I have struggled with the Lodestar long enough and need to get a non SX product so that I can get back to astronomy rather than keep going back and forth to the observatory to try different fixes for getting two SX products to work together.

I looked at Orion Starshoot but maybe there are others I should check out.

Astroart5.0 does not seem to have direct drivers for many guiders so maybe I will have to go with ASCOM drivers?

Regards,

John

Forum_2015

Re: What nonStarlight Xpress guide cameras work well with Astroart?

Post by Forum_2015 »

John,
I've had success with the older QHY5 and lately the new QHY5Lii.
Under ASCOM, no issues no drama.
(I used to use the ATiK16 also for guiding before I got the Lodestar.)
BTW what does Terry at Starlight say about the problem?

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at the QHY5 and the Atik16.
Terry, Seems to think there is not a problem with dual SX operation. However, I have screen shots H18 software has tried to connect to the wrong device, which I sent to Terry. It was clear that the H18 SX software was trying to connect to the wrong PID. However, it now seems to be connecting to the correct PID but the power supply died as I must have powered the observatory up and down a dozen times today. So the H18 has no 12v.

It seems to me that the 64bit system Win8.1 handles USB differently than the old XP. I don't think the SX drivers work on the new system. But it is all a bit random. It may be dependent on the order you connect things and if you define Primary Device.

In AA5 I cannot connect the H18 at all unless I define it as the Primary Device.

Going to do some final testing tonight when I have wired some 12v into the H18(weather really bad 60mph wind up here). I am sure that I am not the only person that has this problem.
I have solved the Lodestar dropping off line caused by USB2.0 current limit being exceeded by the Lodestar(In line 5v regulator from 12v). It now stays in the Device Manager list and will operate on its own, but not with the H18.

I will let you know the final outcome..

John

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

Ok looked at the QHY5ii mono. Camera looks ok but loads of bad comments about conflicts with drivers!! On SGL..
Also their web site is a mess.. Not sure what is wrong, they have a temporary web site with just lists of drivers but which one is correct for this camera on Win8.1??

Not going to buy another camera with driver problems.
John

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

John,
Hmmm
I've been forced to "upgrade" from XP.....and now run everything on Win7.
Can't comment on Win8.1

Forum_2015

Post by Forum_2015 »

John, have you tried the ASCOM driver for the Loadstar?

Iver