Gemini and Lodestar relays

Cameras, telescopes, focusers and other hardware
Forum_2014

Gemini and Lodestar relays

Post by Forum_2014 »

Hi Everyone,
I recently upgraded to AA5 and changed the configuration I use for guiding my Gemini L4. Previous to this, I used a USB to serial cable into the Gemini RS-232 port. The device manager would give me the COM port and I would use that in AA to connect and guide the mount. So the telescope connection I used was an LX 200 compatible and then same connection for the guide.
I am now using the small 4 pin connector cable directly from the Lodestar to the autoguider input of the Gemini. In this configuration, there is no COM port assigned by the computer. I use Lodestar relays for both telescope and guide connection. The COM ports are gray but can still be selected on both telescope and guide drop downs.
I would swear that despite the fact that these are gray, that if I didn’t pick the right COM port the guiding would not work and the only way to find the COM port was by trial and error but the more I think about it – I must be in error??

So - my questions are – Is the “Lodestar Relays” the proper connection for my present autoguider configuration and in this configuration do the COM ports matter? If the COM ports matter – is there any way to determine what they are besides trial and error. If they don’t matter, then I should take some time off and explore these hallucinations I seem to be experiencing ..LOL!

I think I know the answers but just want to confirm.

Thanks.
Mike

Forum_2014

Re: Gemini and Lodestar relays

Post by Forum_2014 »

Hello,
if you don't need to send GOTO commands to the telescope, then the easiest setup is to select "Lodestar relays" as telescope protocol and "Same connection" as guide protocol. Yes, the COM port number is ignored.
Clear skies,
Fabio.