Astroart with ASCOM remote

Main forum about Astroart
Iver

Astroart with ASCOM remote

Post by Iver » 20 Apr 2024, 18:40

Is anyone using ASCOM remote? I have my observatory up and running temporarily using USB extender. I want to set up wireless connection, either Windows remote desktop or ASCOM remote. If you are using ASCOM remote how is it working out for you?
Iver

Dunmunro

Re: Astroart with ASCOM remote

Post by Dunmunro » 20 Apr 2024, 21:40

Iver wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 18:40
Is anyone using ASCOM remote? I have my observatory up and running temporarily using USB extender. I want to set up wireless connection, either Windows remote desktop or ASCOM remote. If you are using ASCOM remote how is it working out for you?
I don't use it, but why not just use a miniPC, running AA8, in the observatory to control the mount and cameras and then control the miniPC via Chrome Remote Desktop, via an ethernet connection? This will be far more stable and reliable than a USB connection.

Anyways, I control two mounts (CEM60/CEM120), two focusers, and 6 cameras this way via two miniPCs in the observatory with both being controlled by a single workstation using CRD.

Iver

Post by Iver » 20 Apr 2024, 23:23

I'm not very happy with Chrome remote hence the USB rout. There is a thread on CN about remote connection options and Windows remote seems to have a lot of fans. Both my computers have Windows home so I would have to pay $100 to get Pro. On the other hand ASCOM remote is free so if anyone is using it I'd like to get some feed back.
Iver

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 20 Apr 2024, 23:42

Iver wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 23:23
I'm not very happy with Chrome remote hence the USB rout. There is a thread on CN about remote connection options and Windows remote seems to have a lot of fans. Both my computers have Windows home so I would have to pay $100 to get Pro. On the other hand ASCOM remote is free so if anyone is using it I'd like to get some feed back.
I've been using CRD for over 5 years now and it's been completely stable and reliable even on a low bandwidth, ethernet over powerline, connection. It's free and easy to setup and you don't have to use Chrome as a web browser, after installation of CRD and CRD will run on almost any OS. The attached image is from 2019 before I switched to miniPCs

If I need to use the miniPC in the observatory with a monitor, for example during collimation or rough focus, I just bring a laptop into the observatory and control the miniPCs directly via CRD.

Iver

Post by Iver » 28 Apr 2024, 16:34

It's been a while since I last used Chrome remote so after reading your endorsement I gave it another try. It seems much improved since I last used it.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Iver