Sun Tracking

Main forum about Astroart
WA5TKU

Sun Tracking

Post by WA5TKU » 08 Nov 2023, 14:46

I recently tried doing a goto to the Sun but got an error message. Sorry I cannot quote the message since it has been to many days back it was something about format if I remember correctly. Is there a way to do a GOTO to the Sun or is this a safety issue to prevent accidently looking at the Sun? Is there a way to set tracking rate to track the Sun? I am using an AP900 with a CP4 controller from Astro Physis.

Thank,

Wes

Dunmunro

Re: Sun Tracking

Post by Dunmunro » 09 Nov 2023, 16:24

WA5TKU wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 14:46
I recently tried doing a goto to the Sun but got an error message. Sorry I cannot quote the message since it has been to many days back it was something about format if I remember correctly. Is there a way to do a GOTO to the Sun or is this a safety issue to prevent accidently looking at the Sun? Is there a way to set tracking rate to track the Sun? I am using an AP900 with a CP4 controller from Astro Physis.

Thank,

Wes
Astroart can use the common name for many astronomical objects in the telescope GOTO tab, but not for the sun. To issue a goto command for the sun, it seems that you will have to enter the RA and Dec into the GOTO tab. You can use the Star Atlas, set to the correct time and location, to find the Sun and then click on the Sun to enter it's RA and Dec into the GOTO tab and then you can issue a goto command to move your mount accordingly.

WA5TKU

Re: Sun Tracking

Post by WA5TKU » 10 Nov 2023, 13:20

Thank you for the information about tracking and goto the Sun. I think it is a good idea to not allow use of the common for the Sun for goto operation. That makes sure no accidental pointing to the Sun.

Wes
WA5TKU