Getting Started: Image capture

Main forum about Astroart
umasscrew39

Getting Started: Image capture

Post by umasscrew39 » 20 Feb 2019, 17:54

I just purchased AA7 and starting out doing AP. I'm simply confused at the beginning as to how to set up to capture an image. I've done it in SGP but I seem to be lost here as to where to begin. What are the initial steps just to capture an image?

Dunmunro

Re: Getting Started: Image capture

Post by Dunmunro » 20 Feb 2019, 20:41

It would help to know what equipment (camera, mount, etc and if they need ASCOM) that you are using.

Basically
1) start AA7 LAA if using 64bit windows -> (look at the menu at the top of the window)
2) select Plugin -> Camera Control 7.0 -> Setup -> imaging camera ->(Select Camera) - Connect
3) Camera Control window -> Image-> (new window checked)->(select exposure time)-> Start
4) Image will appear in a window.

Also click on the (?) Icon in the upper right of the AA7 window (or Help in the text menu) select Tutorial 12 (Camera Control), and then the Camera Control reference guide.

umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 » 20 Feb 2019, 21:10

I have SX cameras_ 814 and 694 and an UltraStar as a guider. SX mini-filter wheel with OAG and Moonlite stepper motofocuser.
My scope is a Celestron 11" on an AP Mach 1. I already have ASCOM drivers and that is how I connected them to SGP. I assume I will be able to do the same with AA7 but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for pointing out the Plug-In - completely missed it and the tutorial.

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 20 Feb 2019, 21:45

umasscrew39 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 21:10
I have SX cameras_ 814 and 694 and an UltraStar as a guider. SX mini-filter wheel with OAG and Moonlite stepper motofocuser.
My scope is a Celestron 11" on an AP Mach 1. I already have ASCOM drivers and that is how I connected them to SGP. I assume I will be able to do the same with AA7 but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for pointing out the Plug-In - completely missed it and the tutorial.
Yes, you'll use the ASCOM chooser, where appropriate, to select and connect to your gear. There are native SX drivers for AA7, which you can download here:
http://www.msb-astroart.com/ccd_en.htm

To connect the focuser you'll use ASCOM and the hardware selection will occur in the Camera Control Focus window:

CC->Setup (select and connect to imaging camera)-> select Focus Guide tab -> click on imaging camera focus button (you'll get a reminder to download an imaging camera frame) -> select exposure time at the bottom of the window and click on start. When the image is downloaded use the mouse cursor to draw a box around a suitable star.
2) click on the imaging camera Focus icon and the focus window will appear then click on "focuser" -> setup->ASCOM

Hint: The camera simulators are a great way to explore CC functionality.

2nd Hint: Occasionally the required equipment windows will not come to the foreground as they will all be created in the centre of the large image display area. I find it is a good idea to move all the hardware interface windows over to the right of the AA7 main window as they appear, and arrange them so that they don't overlap and are conveniently located. Thus each new window will be easily accessible.

umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 » 20 Feb 2019, 22:55

Excellent! Greatly appreciate the initial guidance.... I need to ensure I get all the gear working as I am in my observatory with the scope 11ft above the ground. So can't keep climbing up and down to get things to work. I should have time tomorrow night to try things out but will practice with the simulator.

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 20 Feb 2019, 23:14

umasscrew39 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 22:55
Excellent! Greatly appreciate the initial guidance.... I need to ensure I get all the gear working as I am in my observatory with the scope 11ft above the ground. So can't keep climbing up and down to get things to work. I should have time tomorrow night to try things out but will practice with the simulator.

No problem. I am away from my own observatory until Sunday but I like to keep my hand in, so to speak. I'll monitor the forum as time permits to try and help, if I can.

Where are you located?

cheers

Duncan

umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 » 21 Feb 2019, 00:12

Hi Duncan

I'm in Orlando, FL area. Glad folks like you are available to help. I've been doing live viewing for a couple of years but decided to dip my toe into AP and see if I like it. Which is why I was looking for 1 software to do it all for me. I realize many use numerous software packages but I'm not interested in that, at least not now. I'm sure to have a lot of questions as I move along.

Regards,
Bruce

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 21 Feb 2019, 16:19

umasscrew39 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 00:12
Hi Duncan

I'm in Orlando, FL area. Glad folks like you are available to help. I've been doing live viewing for a couple of years but decided to dip my toe into AP and see if I like it. Which is why I was looking for 1 software to do it all for me. I realize many use numerous software packages but I'm not interested in that, at least not now. I'm sure to have a lot of questions as I move along.

Regards,
Bruce
Sounds tropical... :)

We have a vacation home in the Arizona Sky village, and I have my observatory there. I'm in the process of automating it as much as possible including running the observatory laptops from inside the house via Chrome Remote Desktop and it's looking quite viable.

umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 » 21 Feb 2019, 17:09

That sounds really cool! Love Arizona.

Once I figure out what the heck I am doing, we should exchange photos of our setups.

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 21 Feb 2019, 17:37

umasscrew39 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:09
That sounds really cool! Love Arizona.

Once I figure out what the heck I am doing, we should exchange photos of our setups.
Here's my observatory from start to finish:

https://goo.gl/photos/yZdrTutwbHWS3JCL7

Currently I have a CEM60 and CEM120 installed, with the 3rd pier as a "guest pier" for a friend with an AP1100.

umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 » 21 Feb 2019, 22:16

Excellent stuff! very, very cool :)

ok- I'm still finishing mine up but here is a link to it on CNs...…
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6106 ... ggestions/
Start at post #25 and to the next page.

Starting to create my own web site now.

Dunmunro

Post by Dunmunro » 21 Feb 2019, 22:41

umasscrew39 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 22:16
Excellent stuff! very, very cool :)

ok- I'm still finishing mine up but here is a link to it on CNs...…
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6106 ... ggestions/
Start at post #25 and to the next page.

Starting to create my own web site now.
Nifty!

I hope all works well.