Centering in AA6

Main forum about Astroart
Forum_2016

Centering in AA6

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi,

When I use the "center" command in AA6 the mount seems to center quite well, but it sets a "custom" rate under Eqmod and does not revert back to "siderial" rate. Easily worked around, but a bit annoying. Am I doing something wrong?

Graham

Forum_2016

Re: Centering in AA6

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi,
for some ASCOM drivers (those which do not support the ASCOM command CanMoveAxis) changing the tracking speed is the only way to move an axis (when the "Center Speed" is not "Guide") but at the end of pulse both RightAscensionRate and DeclinationRate are reset to 0.0. Maybe send by email further detail about it, verifying the behaviour with the 4 Center speed.
Fabio.

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Fabio,

Thanks for your reply. I will revert with further detail as soon as I can.
The ASCOM drivers and EQmod are the latest available versions and are used to control a Vixen mount (SP-DX) that has been retrofitted with an Orion SkyView Pro GoTo system.
However, the computer I use for imaging has suffered a motherboard fault. I am nervously awaiting its return, hopefully it can be repaired.

Graham

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Fabio,

My computer is now back on line so I am reverting on the above problem. The issue I have is that any attempt to use the "MOVE" keys under Telescope Control, including "Centering" forces the guide rate of EQMOD to "Custom" rate. Ticking the emulate by GOTO allows the mount to be slewed with a return to Siderial rate, but does not appear to give me any control over the slew rate.

Am I using any incorrect settings? I set the Telescope Control to "ASCOM Driver for GOTO and "Internal Relays" to guide. Guiding performance is quite good, better than 0.4 pixels over long periods using 2x2 binning on the guide chip.

Regards, Graham

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Graham, it's possible that there is no solution, it seems that your mount does not support the ASCOM command "CanMoveAxis" and for some reason emulating it with "RightAscensionRate" and "DeclinationRate" does not work too, since the sideral rate is not restored to sideral. So the options are:
1) "Emulate with GOTO", using short mouse clicks, or selecting a short duration in the "fixed steps" buttons.
2) Using Guide Speed, only if objects are close to the center, or it will take too time.
3) Centering with plate solve.
4) Resetting the tracking speed with Eqmod as you did. This reset is sent by AA but it seems that it's ignored. Try to press the "Stop" button, verify if something happen inside Eqmod.
Kind regards,
Fabio.

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Fabio, Many thanks for your prompt response. Your comments indicate that the problem lies with the Motor Controller not being able to respond to some of the ASCOM commands (the hand controller is not in use, being replaced by the PC connection through the EQdirect USB cable). I can use the "work around" options but my thought is to investigate a firmware upgrade of the synscan stepper motor controller board.
Do you think this may be a solution?
Regards, Graham.
P.S. I am really enjoying using Astroart6, I keep finding new and useful capabilities. A scrip library would be a useful addition (I realise there are some given in the AA6 manual) for those who like myself have only rudimentary programming skills.

Forum_2016

Post by Forum_2016 »

Hi Graham, OK, write me by email, I will send a modified plugin to find out which ASCOM command is not recognized.